Here at Gourmet Orchards, we fully support the fall pumpkin craze, and we hope you do too! We love pumpkins for carving and decorations, but mostly we love pumpkins for cooking and baking. We always take advantage of the fall months and incorporate as many delicious pumpkin recipes as we can. They’re festive and delicious, and allow us to celebrate and appreciate the season. Keep an eye out for more pumpkin recipes on the blog in the next couple months!
This pumpkin roll is a striking and delectable dessert. Although it looks complex, it’s easy to make and even easier to serve at parties. The rich pumpkin flavor is perfectly complemented by the swirl of sweet frosting. Be sure to prepare a day ahead so you have time to chill the cake before serving. Enjoy!
Preparation Time: 20 minutes to prepare, must chill in refrigerator overnight before serving
Bake Time: 12-15 minutes
1 cup white sugar
2/3 cup solid pack pumpkin puree
1 teaspoon lemon juice
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 tablespoons butter
8 ounces cream cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a large cookie sheet with sides.
2. In a mixing bowl, beat eggs on high for five minutes. Gradually add white sugar, pumpkin, and lemon juice. Add flour, cinnamon, salt, baking powder, and ginger. Spread batter evenly in pan. Sprinkle pecans evenly on top, and press lightly into batter.
3. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until roll springs back when touched. Loosen edges with a knife. Turn out on two dishtowels that have been sprinkled with powdered sugar. Roll up cake, and let cool wrapped in the towels for about 20 minutes.
4. To Make Filling: Mix confectioners’ sugar, vanilla, butter or margarine, and cream cheese together till smooth.
5. Unroll pumpkin cake when cool, spread with filling and then reroll.
6. Unroll long sheet of waxed paper. Place pumpkin roll on waxed paper. Dust pumpkin roll with powdered sugar and then twist ends of waxed paper like a piece of candy.
7. Put pumpkin roll in refrigerator and chill overnight.
8. Before slicing, lightly dust with powdered sugar. Enjoy!
Here in the Gourmet Orchards’ Kitchen we’re always looking for new ideas around amazing food. If you’ve got a recipe you’d like us to work on, contact us, fill us in and you may see your recipe on the gourmet blog.