Here at Gourmet Orchards, we are already preparing for the holiday season! This time of year we pay special attention to appetizers. With all the holiday parties and festivities, having a collection of delicious appetizers will help guarantee any party you host will be a hit!
This coconut shrimp appetizer recipe is perfect for any celebration. The shrimp come out crispy on the outside and tender on the inside, making it hard to eat just one. They are guaranteed to be an instant hit at any gathering, with children and adults alike. You can serve these with a variety of dipping sauces, such as cocktail sauce, tartar sauce or a spicy pepper relish. You could also add these flavorful shrimp to a salad or rice for a delicious diner entree.
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- 1 1/2 pounds large shrimp – peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon ground white pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup ice water
- 2 cups shredded coconut
- 1 quart vegetable oil for frying
- 1/2 cup orange marmalade
- 1/4 cup Dijon-style prepared mustard
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1. Peel, devein and wash shrimp thoroughly. Dry well with a towel.
2. Combine flour, cornstarch, salt and white pepper in a bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil and the ice water. Blend.
3. Pour the coconut into a shallow pan. Coat the shrimp in the batter one at time, and then roll the shrimp in the coconut. Once coated, place each shrimp into a frying pan of oil heated to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Fry the shrimp until lightly browned; approximately 4 minutes.
4. For crispier shrimp, you can also bake the fried shrimp in a preheated 300 degrees F (150 degrees C) oven for 5 minutes.
Here in the Gourmet Orchards’ Kitchen we’re always looking for new ideas around amazing food. If you’ve got a recipe you’d like us to work on, contact us, fill us in and you may see your recipe on the gourmet blog.