Here in the Gourmet Orchards’ Kitchen, we’re always looking for a way to give our tastebuds some excitement. In an effort to give our mouths a little vacation, we decided we’d take our plates South of the border with our Whole Wheat Chicken Quesadilla Recipe, accompanied by our Mango Salsa Recipe. While we have a lot more we could say about this scrumptious little snack we’ve put together, we think we’ll let the ingredients and preparation instructions speak for themselves.
Preparation time: 15-20 minutes
- 3 tbs vegetable oil
- 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 4 cups jalapeno jack cheese, shredded
- 6 cups scallions, Sliced
- 8 whole wheat flour tortillas (8-9 inch)
- 3 tbs peanut oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Heat vegetable oil over high in large sauté pan. Season chicken with the salt and pepper. Cook chicken breasts until golden brown on all sides, approximately 8 –10 minutes. Place chicken in the oven until cooked through, approximately 10 – 12 minutes.
- Allow chicken to cool for 5 minutes. Shred chicken (hint: we’ve found the best way to do this is with 2 forks; using one fork to secure the chicken breast while pulling at the chicken with the other).
- Assemble quesadillas by placing 3/4 cup of chicken, 1/2 cup jalapeño jack cheese & 3/4 cup scallions. Fold in half and set to the side.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients to make 8 quesadillas.
- Heat 1 tsp, peanut oil in a large sauté pan. Place one quesadilla in the pan and lightly brown on both sides, making certain that cheese is melted before removing from pan.
- Repeat with remaining quesadillas, adding more peanut oil when necessary.
- Cut each quesadilla into fourths and serve with the mango salsa.
Here in the Gourmet Orchards’ Kitchen we’re always looking for new ideas around amazing food. If you’ve got a recipe you’d like us to work on, contact us, fill us in and you may see your recipe on the gourmet blog.