Strawberry shortcake is a classic dessert, and while simple, it is a guaranteed crowd pleaser! We searched high and low for the best strawberry shortcake recipe, one that combines soft buttermilk biscuits with sweet sliced strawberries, and this is it! Individual shortcakes make this recipe easy to serve to a crowd as well, allowing each person to add their own toppings. Perfect for parties! For a gourmet twist on this classic, try using a different fruit, such as raspberries or peaches. Try this recipe at home and leave a comment letting us now how it was! Enjoy!
Preparation Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 15 Minutes
3 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 cup white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3/4 cup chilled unsalted butter, cut into
1 cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1/4 cup turbinado sugar
8 cups sliced fresh strawberries
1/4 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
3. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, 1/3 cup white sugar, and salt in a mixing bowl.
4. Cut in cold butter with a knife or pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
5. Stir in buttermilk until the flour mixture is moistened.
6. Drop 1/3-cup scoops of dough 2 inches apart onto the prepared baking sheet.
7. Brush biscuits with heavy cream and sprinkle generously with turbinado sugar.
8. Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
9. Mix together the sliced strawberries, 1/4 cup white sugar, and lemon juice in a large bowl. Allow berries to rest until juices develop, about 30 minutes.
10. Serve the strawberries with juice over the biscuits.
Here in the Gourmet Orchards’ Kitchen we’re always looking for new ideas around amazing food. If you’ve got a recipe you’d like us to work on, contact us, fill us in and you may see your recipe on the gourmet blog.