The pumpkin mania at Gourmet Orchards continues! This time we are featuring a savory and delicious stuffed pumpkin recipe! Stuffed pumpkin is a perfect holiday comfort food and gives us yet another excuse to use our favorite seasonal vegetable. After baking everything together inside the pumpkin, this dish makes a festive centerpiece for any family meal or holiday celebration. We incorporated some of our favorite vegetables, including red bell peppers and potatoes, when creating this recipe and it turned out great! Don’t be afraid to experiment and include your favorite ingredients in this versatile dish, you really can’t go wrong!
Preparation Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 2 Hours
1 cup wild rice
1 medium sugar pumpkin
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
2 tablespoons bacon grease
1 pound ground beef
1 onion, chopped
3 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon dried sage
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1. In a saucepan, bring 4 cups water to a boil. Add wild rice and stir. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 1 hour, or until tender.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
3. Cut out the top of the pumpkin and scoop out pulp and seeds. Prick the pumpkin interior with a fork and rub with 1 teaspoon salt and dry mustard.
4. Heat bacon grease in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in the ground beef and onion. Slowly stir until evenly brown. Remove from heat. Mix in the wild rice, remaining salt, eggs, sage and pepper. Stuff the pumpkin with the beef mixture. Place pumpkin in a shallow baking pan with 1/2 inch water.
5. Bake the pumpkin in the preheated oven 1 1/2 hours, or until tender. Add more water to the pan as necessary to avoid sticking.
Here in the Gourmet Orchards’ Kitchen we’re always looking for new ideas around amazing food. If you’ve got a recipe you’d like us to work on, contact us, fill us in and you may see your recipe on the gourmet blog.