Cheesecake is a classic dessert and a favorite here in the Gourmet Orchards’ kitchen.As we searched around for a cheesecake we really felt was worth the Gourmet Orchards Blog, we decided that whatever recipe we used needed to have flair that was distinctly gourmet (big surprise, right?)
So, instead of giving our readers a normal plain cheesecake recipe, we decided to elevate this dish with some zesty citrus flavors, which we know all too well. Lemon, lime and orange really make the flavor of this cheesecake pop, and it’s the perfect dish to bid farewell to summer. As you know, we really believe that half the battle of being gourmet is in the presentation; so if you really want to ‘wow’ your guests, use roasted oranges or twirled orange peels as a garnish on the cheesecake (list, you can practically hear your guests ‘oohing’ and ‘awing’ already).
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: 1 Hour 10 Minutes
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup white sugar
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1 egg white
3 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
1 2/3 cups white sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon grated Grande Navel Orange zest
2 teaspoons grated lime zest
1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup sour cream
2/3 cup orange marmalade
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). Butter a 9 inch springform pan.In a small bowl, whisk together egg yolk, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1 teaspoon lemon peel and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla.
2. In the bowl of a food processor, combine flour and 1/3 cup sugar. Add butter and mix in food processor until coarse crumbs form. With machine running, add yolk mixture and blend until moist clumps form. Transfer dough to pan and press onto bottom and 1 1/2 inches up side. Freeze crust for 10 minutes.
3. After freezing, brush crust lightly with egg white. Bake until crust is slightly golden, about 15 minutes. Cool on rack while preparing filling. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
3. In a large bowl, mix cream cheese and 1 2/3 cups sugar until smooth. Add cornstarch, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, orange zest, lime zest, 1 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Beat in eggs one at a time, then stir in sour cream. Pour filling into crust.
4. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until puffed and cracked around edges and center moves only slightly when pan is gently shaken. Allow to cool to room temperature, then refrigerate overnight.
5. To create the citrus glaze: Boil marmalade and 2 teaspoons lemon juice in saucepan over medium heat, until slightly reduced, about 2 minutes. Spread warm glaze on top of cake. Chill cake 10 minutes. Remove pan sides and transfer cake to serving plate. Enjoy!
Here in the Gourmet Orchards’ Kitchen we’re always looking for new ideas around amazing food. If you’ve got a recipe you’d like us to work on, contact us, fill us in and you may see your recipe on the gourmet blog.