As temperatures continue to drop and winter quickly approaches, we at Gourmet Orchards always look for delicious, warm and filling entrees to prepare. Chicken pot pie is one of our first choices when we want hearty comfort food! Although you may think chicken pot pie takes lots of effort and time to make, our recipe proves that you can make this any weeknight with just a little preparation. You won’t have to worry about picky eaters when making this recipe either! The creamy filling and flaky pie crust make for perfect combination that is sure to delights anyone! Let us know how the recipe turns out in the comments!
Preparation Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 30 Minutes
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves – cubed
1 cup sliced carrots
1 cup frozen green peas
1/2 cup sliced celery
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon celery seed
1 3/4 cups chicken broth
2/3 cup milk
2 (9 inch) unbaked pie crusts
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Combine chicken, carrots, peas, and celery in a saucepan. Add water to cover and boil for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, drain and set aside.
3. In the saucepan over medium heat, cook onions in butter until soft and translucent. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, and celery seed. Stir in chicken broth and milk. Simmer over medium-low heat until mixture thickens. Remove from heat and set aside.
4. Place the chicken mixture in bottom pie crust. Pour liquid mixture over. Cover with top crust, seal edges, and remove excess dough. Make several small slits in the top to allow steam to escape.
5. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool before serving.
Here in the Gourmet Orchards’ Kitchen we’re always looking for new ideas around amazing food. If you’ve got a recipe you’d like us to work on, contact us, fill us in and you may see your recipe on the gourmet blog.